Can apple cider vinegar actually help you lose weight? Should we give it a try?
Miranda Kerr reportedly uses apple cider vinegar on her salads to stay slim, while Megan Fox mixes it with water to “clean out her system.”
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is a cherished natural remedy, used by many as a preventative and curative measure. It also holds an important place in the dieting world – scientific studies, as well as practical experiences, show that apple cider vinegar (ACV) can help you lose weight. Vinegar is one of those substances that target the problem holistically, and it provides you with long-term solutions. It cleanses the body and acts in an anti-microbial way. Not only does it help with weight loss, it also has a positive effect on some other conditions. ACV can help with diabetes, cancer, heart health, high cholesterol, free radical damage, digestion, acid reflux, and it’s even useful for treating kidney stones.
ACV acts as an appetite suppressor-ACV makes you eat less by producing a feeling of satiety sooner. ACV controls blood sugar levels- ACV prevents uncontrollable sugar spikes and crashes that make you want to nibble between meals. When your blood sugar is stable, it’s much easier to stick to your diet and eat only when your body needs it.
ACV prevents fat accumulation-ACV stimulates your metabolism and makes you burn fat faster. It contains a lot of organic acids and enzymes that speed up your metabolism and increase the rate at which body fat is burnt. ACV has an impact on insulin secretion-Insulin affects fat storage. This hormone is closely linked to blood sugar levels and its secretion is disturbed in people suffering from type 2 diabetes.
ACV detoxifies the body- When our body gets rid of toxins, all the processes (including digestion and metabolism) become more efficient. ACV flushes the body and helps it use the nutrients from food in the best way possible. It is high in fiber that absorb toxins and improve bowel movement.
ACV will not provide you with a quick weight loss. The changes will be gradual, but permanent. Don’t be impatient and allow it some time. Sometimes losing just one pound a month and not re-gaining it afterwards, can be the real success. How fast you’ll lose weight, depends on other factors as well, such as your exercise, nutrition, stress and genetic factors.
How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) For Weight Loss
Start by adding 1 teaspoon of ACV to a cup of water and drink it once a day. Then, increase the amount of vinegar per serving, and the frequency of drinking.
Ideally, you should add 2 tablespoons of vinegar to a cup of water and drink it one to three times a day.
To kick start the metabolism and influence the feeling of fullness, it’s best to drink it about an hour before your meal. As an addition to your pre-meal serving, some also suggest drinking it first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach.
ACV is very acidic, so you need to dilute it to protect your teeth, throat and the lining of your stomach. Don’t drink undiluted ACV. To improve the flavor, you can add a bit of honey to your vinegar serving or, you can drink it with your tea. Wait for the tea to cool a bit before adding two tablespoons of ACV and drink. You can also have vinegar with your meal. It goes very well with some soups or you can use it as a refreshing salad dressing.
If you are not a fan of apple cider vinegar taste, then you can add various ingredients to enhance its taste and effectiveness. See the list below:
– Cayenne Pepper: Cayenne pepper improves digestion, curbs the appetite, boosts metabolism and helps in burning fats. You can add a pinch to 1 teaspoon of it to ACV drink.
– Cinnamon: It cleanses the fat accumulated in the colon and digestive system. It lowers the bad cholesterol levels and increase good cholesterol levels. It regulates blood sugar levels. You can add a pinch to 1/2 teaspoon to the ACV drink.
– Garlic: It stimulates the satiated hormone which makes you feel full for a longer period of time. It prevents binge eating and sugar carvings. It stimulates the process of burning stored fats. You can add 1 teaspoon of garlic juice or a pinch of garlic powder to the ACV drink.
– Ginger: Ginger is a natural appetite suppressant which makes you feel full a long period of time. It improves digestion and gastrointestinal motility. You can add 1 teaspoon of garlic juice or a pinch of ginger powder to the ACV drink.
– Honey: Honey increases energy levels and suppresses food cravings. It eases the digestion process and boosts the metabolism to burn the fats. You can add a tablespoon to the ACV drink.
– Lemon: The pectin fibers present in lemon prevent hunger pangs. It helps in flushing out the toxins and enhances the functioning of vital organs. You can add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to ACV drink.
– Maple Syrup: If you are allergic to pollen then maple syrup can be the best alternative. It improves digestion and provides vitamins and minerals to the body. It acts as antioxidant. You can add 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon to the ACV drink.