Relationships are tricky at best. We find someone and we hope that we will be together, but often times things can get complicated fast. The most important thing is to understand that a relationship needs to be worked on; you should never take things for granted, as you might find yourself all alone. Working towards a number of relationship goals is more than recommended; moreover, this work should be done by both partners involved in the said relationship. Keep on reading and discover no less than ten relationship goals you should ideally have.
#1 Mutual respect
Partners who do not respect one another do not belong together. When you fail to respect your partner, not only are you hurting his/her feelings but you are doing a lot of damage to the relationship. Mutual respect does not appear out of thin air, you need to work towards it and make sure that your partner follows the same pathway. Without respect, you will end up saying a lot of things that can make matters worse.
These are some of the measures you can take in order to increase the level of mutual respect:
- Be honest about any existent problems for example, if you have low libido talk to your partner and seek out solutions together; this will show how much you respect him/her and any wishes regarding this area.
- Do not be condescending if you behave with your partner as if he/she was your subordinate, respect will be the last thing on your mind.
- Acknowledge your partner’s contributions no matter how small, each gesture has to be acknowledge; always show genuine interest and it will not feel like you need to take that extra step.
#2 Love-lifel satisfaction
Love-life should be a primary goal for all couples, especially when the relationship has been going on for some time. At the beginning, things can get heated quite easily but after a while problems can appear in this department. It is important not to give up on this part of the relationship and work towards maintaining the flame of passion alive.
Male sexual disorders can have a negative impact on the sexual satisfaction in a relationship. For this reason, it is important to seek out treatment and make sure that you return to a healthy status.
These are some other measures to consider when it comes to this relationship goal:
- Try new things it can be sex toys, a new technique or even another location, what matters is that you spice things up
- Talk dirty to your partner s**ual arousal is easily obtained when you changed your normal boudoir talk
- Ask your partner about any hidden desires often times partners are afraid/ashamed to actually communicate their sexual desires.
#3 Healthy problem-solving
Just because you are in a relationship, do not expect for things to be perfect. On the contrary, you might find the road towards happiness to be quite rocky. For this reason, if you want for your relationship to survive, you need to develop healthy problem-solving skills. Let’s say your partner suffers from erectile dysfunction; instead of making things worse, talk about his problem. Read some of the Virectin reviews and decide whether this is a supplement that could help him or not.
These are some of the measures you can take when it comes to developing such skills:
- Acknowledge existent problems do not think that problems can go away on their own, they will only become worse in time.
- Talk to your partner about the best solution for the both of you, as this will also bring you closer together.
- Watch out for the consequences of your actions and work to avoid such behavior in the future.
#4 Happy together
The number one reason for which we enter into a relationship is happiness, aside of course from love. Being together, however, does not necessarily mean you will instantly be happy. Happiness is a goal you should work towards, often coming from little things. While we all like grand gestures, this mostly has to do with everyday life and surprising your partner with small bits of happiness.
These are some of the measures you can take to make your partner happy:
- Tell him/her how you feel about your relationship
- Do things that make your partner happy, even if you are not too keen about them
- Be open about the things that bother you, as this can open the path for healthy communication and happiness.
#5 Something new
For a lot of couples, boredom is the number one problem. You get into a routine, which is great at first. But, with the passing of time, you actually begin to become bothered by the lack of excitement in your life. In this situation, one of your relationship goals should be to try new things; for example, you can engage your partner in a new activity at least once a month.
These are some of the activities you engage in, escaping the normal routine of your relationship:
- Going out to a different restaurant or club
- Practicing a new sport
- Visiting a new country or city
- Changing sex positions
- Adrenaline-filled experiences, such as bungee jumping.
When you begin to see only the bad side of your partner, this is a clear sign that your relationship is in trouble. A healthy relationship goal involves actively working towards maintaining a positive attitude about your partner. Sure, at times, you might find it difficult to stay positive; however, you need to remember that you love one another and think about the things that brought you together in the first place.
These are some of the measures you can take in order to stay positive:
- Do not be too quick to judge your partner and always listen to his/her side of the story
- Focus on the things that make you love him/her not on his/her flaws
- Organize a list with all of the things you find to be positive about your relation and read it from time to time.
#7 Date night
The daily life of a couple is usually based on the same routine. When children appear in the picture, things can become even more complicated. For this reason, you need to have a date night and let some of the tension come out. Date night can remind the two of you about love and passion; most importantly, it offers you the opportunity to spend some quality time together and feel better about being in this relationship.
These are some suggestions for date night:
- Classic dinner and movie version
- Seeing a new play
- Going at an amusement park
- Museum exhibitions
- Wine tasting.
In many relationships, the lack of appreciation is striking, increasing the risk for an early breakup or divorce. Saying “thank you” might seem like redundant to you but it can mean the world for your partner. We all need to be appreciated, especially when we are in a relationship and we take a lot of pride in the way we are reflected in our partner’s eyes.
This is how you can show your appreciation:
- Acknowledge the things your partner does for you and your relationship
- Say “thank you” as a simple but highly-effective gesture
- Do not be sarcastic when trying to show your appreciation, no one will welcome an ironic remark.
Being in a relationship, you must remember that you have consciously decided to share your life with another person. This means that you will have to support your partner in his/her endeavors, without complaining or being mean. The happiness of a relationship depends on mutual support, so you need to actively work towards being supportive of your partner.
These are some of the ways in which you can show your support:
- Encourage your partner to pursue his/her goals, as long as these are realistic
- Pay attention to your partner and acknowledge his/her needs, outside of your relationship
- If your partner needs additional help for certain activities, do not hesitate to offer your assistance.
#10 Relationship first
Prioritizing your relationship might not seem like such a big deal but it can make the difference between success and failure. In order to enjoy a happy life as a couple, you need for your relationship to come first. Do not take your partner or the life you share together for granted. And, most importantly, do not become so busy so that your relationship takes second place in your life.
These are some of the measures you can take in order to ensure that your relationship is a top priority:
- Acknowledge your feelings and present them to your partner
- Do not neglect or ignore your partner and his/her feelings
- Work to synchronize with the needs and desires of your partner.
In conclusion, these are some of the most important relationship goals you should work towards. Life as a couple can be extremely rewarding, as you will always have someone to be by your side and help you through thick and thin.
Ben Arnold is a freelance writer and health advisor. He also does PR for Consumer Health
Digest and Performance Insiders. In his free time, he loves to read books and enjoy soft music.
You can Follow him on Facebook and Linked-In.