When you’re struggling with some extra kilos it can be really frustrating to hear statements like “you’re retaining water” or “it isn’t actually fat, it’s water”, but both of these can be true. Water retention is a major reason for not being able to drop those kilos.
Your body is made of 55% to 75% water, so your weight can fluctuate based on this. Water weight is caused by a buildup of fluid in some body tissues, between your cells.
There are many reasons why this could possibly happen, but usually it’s all about eating too much salt or too much carbs. Every 1 gram of carbohydrate requires 3-4 grams of water to process and store it, so you can imagine what happens when you eat a large quantity of carbs daily.
Here are 5 tips to help you get rid of excess water weight:
1. Reduce sodium intake. If you’ll take a closer look to your sodium intake, you’ll discover that every time you eat too much salt you suffer from bloating. This happens because water molecules are attracted to sodium. You should completely avoid big variations in salt intake.
2. Drink more water. Yes, it’s ironic, but the right amount of liquids will help you get rid of the excess water in your tissues. When your body is dehydrated it will store water to compensate and it won’t be able to release fluids. Make sure you drink up to 8 or 10 glasses of water per day.
READ ALSO: How To Lose Weight Using Water
3. Do more HIIT (High intensity interval training). This type of exercises will increase your heart rate and it will allow your body to sweat out all the toxins and fluids very fast. In addition a good HIIT workout will elevate your cortisol levels to a healthy level and this will help your body to work through stress.
4. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables are high in vitamins and minerals which help your body function within normal parameters. They are also a great source of fiber. High fiber foods will cleanse your urinary tract, kidneys, and your colon.
5. Sweat out the excess water in a sauna. Just 30 minutes of sauna will help you get rid of the water weight fast, but don’t do this every day and never stay longer than 30 minutes in a sauna or a steam room.