Most young people do not go to the gym because it’s too expensive or they do not have the time to attend a gym. Now, both of these issues can be resolved. It only takes willpower.
Just think what we could do if we really wanted to stay in shape. Noted: it can be difficult to build muscles without the corresponding weights if we do not have a gym setup at home. If we want to do bodybuild, we should really go to the gym. However, if we cannot afford nor have time to go the gym and yet want to stay in shape, there are a few alternatives that we can do to help ourselves.
Let’s start by making our own ‘Weights’
Most of us do not have our own weights but at home we can improvise. Use 2.5 liter bottles of water for dumbbells and a 5litre water bottle as a kettlebell. Use a backpack with tins of food as a weight and use a broom handle and two bags securely tied to each end of the handle to make a barbell weighted evenly withtins of food, stones or even soil. It is very important that you can lift the weights comfortably to perform each exercise safely and efficiently.
What we can do at home?
The truth is there are a number of workouts that can be done at home. During ancient times, gyms were specifically built with various weights and people trained in much the same way as today. A number of exercises which can be done from home are; cardiovascular workout, weight training and even training for muscle mass (within limits of course). We can always find dozens of home workout examples from the internet.
A great way to say in shape without the cost of gym fees is by following an exercise plan from the internet. Warming up is very important before beginning any training/exercise. For at least five minutes you need to stretch all the muscle ligaments in your body and feel tepid! Only then should you start to train.
1. Shadow Boxing Cardio Workout – Imagine fighting somebody; follow an example on You Tube. It does not have to be perfect; practice in front of a mirror or ask a friend to see if you are performing correctly. Move around like you are fighting someone, throwing punches. Punch directly out in front10 times with each arm. Then perform a combination of direct punches and hooks. Start left direct punch then right hook 10 times. Start right direct punch and left hook, again 10 times.
2. Warm up legs; 10 squats. That should be ok for anyone. Points 1. and 2. are warm ups. The following exercises are in the form of a circuit which means you take a small a break in between exercise for about 45 seconds, but I assume you already knew that.
3. Pushups 5-10 reps
4. Lateral lunges for each leg 5-10 reps
5. One Arm Dumbbell Row. 10 reps each arm (pay attention to correct execution)
6. Shadow Boxing Cardio Workout; 5 combination reps
7. Squats 5-10 rep
8. Lift bags/ water bottles or tin cans in each hand straight up and down to your shoulders 5-10 reps
9. 10 crunches
10. One Arm Dumbbell Row Outwards. 10 reps each arm
11. 10 Step ups
12. Biceps curls or triceps 5-10 with a weight in each hand
It should be noted that this is only a starting point. I use this program often but there are other alternatives. Don’t try and find excuses about why you’re not in shape. No one will expect you to look like a professional bodybuilder or to have 6-pack just because you are training. It’s not important! What is important is a healthy lifestyle both physically and mentally. Alternative training can be found on YouTube including alternative weights that can be found/made at home.