To begin with, you will need to steer clear of the simple carbohydrates. Although they tend to burn a lot more quickly and expel more energy in a short amount of time, they cause a rush of insulin to be secreted from the pancreas. In addition to low carb, you can simultaneously take weight loss drops which removes unnecessary fat from body portions like belly, arms etc. In the short term, you will experience a sudden drop in energy level by taking these drops, and if this pattern continues, in the long term, metabolism gradually slows down, extra energy is stored as fat, and then, you might even face the possibility of developing Type 2 diabetes. So it is obvious that you should avoid sweets, regular soft drinks, and other snacks and drinks that are very unhealthy. Other foods and beverages that might slow down metabolism might be rather surprising because they are seemingly healthy because they are often labeled as “natural” or “fortified.” These include:
- Potatoes (try to obey the rule of very little and far between…with the skin left on)
- Cereal or bread with less than 5 grams of fiber (even if “fortified with vitamins and iron”)
- Brown Rice (check the label; it might be artificial coloring)
- Fruit Juice (even “all natural” with nothing added carries a high sugar content)
- “Protein” bars (something has to give it the sweet flavor)
- “Natural” peanut butter (most still contain molasses)
- Any other food product that is labeled as “whole wheat” or “whole grain”; you should check the fiber content on the label. Sometimes coloring or other additives are thrown in to create “the appearance” of being a healthy food.
Foods and Drinks that enhance metabolism
On the other hand, you will have a wide array of healthier choices to pick from that actually help with the metabolic process. For instance, you might need to research further into low glycemic foods and drinks. These contain mostly complex carbohydrates, which take longer to digest, but still have a tendency to boost your metabolic rate, if ingested on a regular basis. (Keep in mind that changes to metabolism—positive or negative do not happen, as they say, “overnight.”) Here are a few examples of foods and drinks that can help raise your metabolism in order to enhance your weight loss efforts:
- Your proteins that occur naturally in different meats, like fish and poultry, will also have a desired effect because protein helps to build muscle, and of course, muscle tissue assists in raising your metabolism.
- Unsaturated Fats and Omega 3’s are another great option because they make you feel fuller for a longer period in between meals. Some of the most popular choices, like nuts and legumes, also include a nominal amount of protein so that you get double the advantages. Some other tasty selections include avocadoes and olives.
- “Ancient” Grains is actually a popular moniker that seems to be trending more often on food labels, but before you dismiss this as a marketing ploy, you might consider checking the ingredients and the nutritional information. If the bread or cereal or boxed mix that is labeled “ancient grains” and actually consists of six or more grams of fiber, then you are on the right track (You can find more tips at hcg diet programs). Remember, that these types of complex carbs will not leave you feeling sluggish an hour or so after eating since they take longer to digest. Furthermore, they will not incite that overload of insulin like the simple carbs do.
- Vegetables make a great side dish (or an excellent entrée in the case of eggplant “lasagna”) to go with your protein source. Aside from being great sources of fiber, they contain many vitamins and minerals to facilitate those metabolic pathways, and just like “ancient grains,” they do not digest as quickly as simple carbs. So raw or cooked (particularly with olive oil), you are looking at an excellent boost to your metabolic rate.
- Beverages like green, oolong, or black tea also have positive effects on your digestive system because of the energy pick-me-up that they offer. Moreover, they contain valuable antioxidants that protect cells from the damage of free radicals. Coffee offers similar positive advantages but only if you hold the sugar and add just a minute amount of cream.
As usual, the more knowledge you gain about foods and beverages that assist with metabolism and promote overall better health, the better your dieting experience will be.