Science says yes, it does! Years of elaborate research have pointed out that the position we sleep in has an impact on our health. Since most people sleep on a side, whether left or right, I thought it would be useful to look at the advantages and disadvantages of this sleeping position. If we know the consequences of sleeping one way or the other, we can make changes to improve our repose and thus keep our bodies flourishing.
Benefits of left side sleeping
One theory several scientists back up is that sleeping on the left side is the best way to help the body stay healthy and even to live longer. The supposition takes its rise in Ayurveda, a holistic approach to medicine of Indian origin. The truth is there are several essential benefits we get from favoring our left side when we sleep.
- Snoring diminishes or goes away completely.
- Our lymphatic system enjoys an improved circulation, which allows the body to filter toxins and waste.
- Blood circulation gets a better flow. We can also experience a decrease in the varicose veins. These things happen because the largest vein in our body, called the vena cava, is located on the right side of the body and sleeping on the left means not pressuring it.
- We enjoy a smooth digestion when sleeping on the left, and we have gravity to thank for this: it boosts food waste from the small intestine to the large one.
- Our heart and spleen benefit from sleeping on the left, also due to gravity and its effects on corporal fluids.
- Pregnant ladies are often advised to sleep on the left because this position will improve circulation and thus the blood flow to the fetus.
Pros and cons for right side sleeping
According to sleep experts, choosing the right side for our good night rest could generate some health issues, but there are also upsides of this sleeping position.
- If you’re suffering from heartburns, sleeping on the right may, in fact, worsen the situation. The warning goes for everyone, but mainly for pregnant women.
- The stupor of the arm can appear because of the restricted blood flow and pressured nerves. It’s a sensation that might wake us up in the middle of the night; therefore, you can add disrupted sleep and insomnia to the list of problems.
- Some researchers have warned that sleeping on our right side may, in some cases, aggravate the gastro-esophageal reflux, which is hurtful for the esophagus and may lead to cancer.
- The good thing is that sleeping on the right side will lower our heart rate and blood pressure, which, in fact, can help the heart stay healthy for a long while.
So there you have it, a short list of benefits and disadvantages of sleeping on our sides. I know it is difficult to control the way you toss and turn in your sleep, so even if you fall asleep staying on your left, you may wake up on your back or right. One trick you can do to keep the left side sleeping position is to put a large, compact pillow against your back. It will stop you from turning.
Another thing you can do is visit online mattress stores, read pertinent reviews and find out which type is perfect for supporting your side sleeping. Once you decide on the right product for you, make a long-term investment in your well-being by purchasing it. It will prove to be a vital help for sustaining a healthy lifestyle.