Are you an e-cigarette smoker? If you are, then you must be aware of the controversies of electronic cigarette smoking. While e-cigarettes have become a bit controversial nowadays, the question of it being an alternative to tobacco smoking is still scrutinized by many public health officials. If you advocate a product which is less dangerous than smoking cigarettes, here’s what you need to know about electronic cigarette smoking and its pros and cons to your health.
E-Cigarettes: What it is?
While many people are advised to stop smoking due to a vast number of health complications, others have started switching to electronic cigarette smoking which has been considered by some as a safer alternative to tobacco.
- E-cigarettes are electronic devices with a solution of liquid nicotine, water, and propylene glycol. These are battery-powered gadgets which usually come in several shapes and sizes.
- In some cases, e-cigarettes are known by various names such as “e-cigs,” “vapes,” “mods” and “vape pens.” They’re also made to appear like regular cigarettes or pipes.
- E-cigarette smoking happens when the smoke produces an aerosol by heating a nicotine-containing liquid. Take note that nicotine is an addictive drug common in regular cigarettes, cigars, and other tobacco products.
- Furthermore, e-cigarette smoking happens when you inhale the aerosol into your lungs giving you the sensation of smoking.
- While some say that e-cigarettes are effective to quit smoking, there are still several things to learn about the potential benefits as well as the harm of electronic cigarette smoking.
E-Cigarette Smoking: The Pros
Most of the time, e-cigarette smoking appears to be safer than conventional tobacco smoking. Below are some advantages of using e-cigarettes:
- Although e-cigarettes contain nicotine, they don’t have tobacco and other toxic chemicals which are commonly found in combustible cigarettes. It’s worth keeping in mind that these chemicals are harmful substances that can cause heart disease, cancer, and even lungs problems.
- E-cigarette smoking produces no secondhand smoke as well as ashes and odor. In fact, these electronic devices can be used in places where tobacco smoking is prohibited. This means it can be done in office buildings, restaurants, and other public areas.
- While e-cigarettes don’t release secondhand smoke, breathing it is much safer for children and other family members at home.
- E-cigarette smoking is cheaper compared to regular smoking. This is true especially when you’ll be able to buy the “starter kit” where batteries and chargers are already in there.
- Individuals who do e-cigarette smoking appear to be healthier than those traditional smokers, having said that they have become more energetic and they have been able to breathe more easily.
- E-cigarettes can be considered as an alternative for long-term traditional smokers who have been having a difficult time quitting smoking using recommended strategies.
- They seem to less harmful to smokers who have been suffering mild to moderate situations of asthma.
- E-cigarette smoking can help improve the health of those with a chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. While these individuals have difficulty quitting smoking, the use of e-cigarettes can simulate the traditional smoking sensation without worsening COPD symptoms.
E-Cigarette Smoking: The Cons
Like the traditional tobacco smoking, e-cigarettes also have health risks that you should be cautious for:
- E-cigarette smoking can be addictive which can result in the use of other nicotine products, thereby increasing the health risks of alcohol use and even drug addiction. Children and teens should not use e-cigarettes to prevent lifetime addiction to the substance.
- Aerosol in electronic cigarette smoking contains additives and other carcinogenic substances that can cause health problems.
- While there have been no accurate scientific studies on the possible health risks of e-cigarettes, any user may unknowingly put themselves in danger of some potential health issues caused by the chemicals in the vapor.
- Unlike tobacco cigarettes, e-cigarettes are not subject to public health standards, which is why restrictions can’t be imposed successfully. The problem here is that anybody who wants to use e-cigarettes can do so without having known some distribution and manufacturing regulations.
- E-cigarette smoking uses liquids which can unintentionally poison your children.
- They can be a cause of explosions from faulty electric chargers, increasing the risks of accidents.
- E-cigarette smoking doesn’t actually reduce smoking.
While e-cigarette smoking doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a completely safe or dangerous alternative, it should still be regulated to avoid its long-term side effects on health. With the information mentioned in this article earlier, you’ll be able to equip yourself with the knowledge about the pros and cons of e-cigarette smoking. If you’re an e-cigarette smoker, there are several organizations like ecassoc.org where you can be affiliated with certain advocacy groups made up of vapers and other individuals who believe that e-cigarette smoking can be an efficient way of decreasing harm caused by tobacco.
Jason is an outgoing individual who enjoys an e-cigarette from time to time. Because of his like of Vaping, he loves to write about vaporizers and other products for Ecassoc.org. In his spare time, you’ll see Jason on the water or spending time with friends.