I guess we all know that Orange Peel Skin Look! Cellulite is a nasty one, no one loves it!
The first time you see cellulite on your body is akin to seeing that first gray hair: it catches you off guard. It usually happens in the dressing room, where overhead fluorescent lights become capable of illuminating every last wrinkle and dimple on your body. And then you spot it…usually near your derrière: cellulite.
You don’t have to be overweight or a certain age to get cellulite; in fact, it’s something most women have. While you may not be able to completely rid yourself of cellulite, there are things you can do to get rid of it. (Spoiler alert: strength training is the chepeaest cellulite treatment out there!) So before you have a panic attack in the dressing room, sit back, breathe deep, and get ready to learn a few facts about cellulite and the seven best exercises to reduce cellulite naturally.
SEE ALSO: These Are The Very Best 5 Exercises To Reduce That Nasty Cellulite
What is Cellulite?
In short, cellulite is a type of fat. However, it seems to have it’s own unique, dimply appearance doesn’t it? That’s because this particular type of subcutaneous fat is stuck between the muscle and the fibrous cords that connect the skin to the muscle. The more fat cells that accumulate, the more they push against the skin and cause those cords to pull down. This creates the “cottage cheese” appearance you love to hate. And the looser the muscles fibers are in any part of your body, the easier it is for the fat to push through like little pillows.
At What Age Do You Get Cellulite?
After puberty, pretty much anyone can get cellulite, regardless of their weight. Young girls can have it, but it actually becomes more visible in older women simply because their skin is thinner. In addition, women and men alike tend to gain fat and lose muscle with age, both of which contribute to having cellulite.
Where Does Cellulite Usually Show Up?
Cellulite can show up anywhere that fat accumulates, but it’s most commonly found on the butt and thighs. These areas carry the most fat, so they naturally have more of a chance of accumulating cellulite.
Is Cellulite Genetic?
Yes, cellulite tends to be passed on through families. (Thanks, Mom!) But as you’ll see at the end of this article, there are specific strength training exercises that can help reduce the appearance of cellulite on your lower body.
Do Skinny People Get Cellulite?
Yes! Having cellulite doesn’t mean you are overweight. Even thin people have it. Even models have it. (They just have professional air-brushing and spray-tanning!) However, if you do happen to be overweight, losing weight can reduce cellulite.
RELATED: This Type Of Training Can Help You Diminish Cellulite
So…Can I Get Rid of Cellulite if I Lose Enough Weight?
You may reduce the appearance of cellulite if you’re currently overweight. Losing weight will shrink your fat cells and reduce your body fat. However, as we’ve pointed out, thin people get cellulite too. So shed any extra weight that may be exacerbating your cellulite, but then focus on practical solutions like the strength training exercises at the end of this article that will firm you up head-to-toe.
So Is Getting Rid of Cellulite Impossible?
We love the phrase “progress, not perfection.” The truth is, getting completely cellulite-free skin may not be attainable. The models you see in the magazines have been spray-tanned and photo-shopped so many times, any hint of cellulite they possess is not going to show up on the glossy pages of your magazine. There are, however, specific exercises you can do to tighten and tone your body and reduce the appearance of cellulite. So let’s get to them!
How To Get Rid Of Cellulite
In addition to losing weight if you’re truly overweight, the other things you can do to reduce the appearance of cellulite is strength train! Strength training is the best way to reduce the appearance of cellulite, and it costs nothing. How does strength training reduce the appearance of cellulite? When you build nice, firm muscle underneath your skin, it will fill the space with solid structure and create a smoother surface. Basically the webbing of muscle fibers tighten up and they won’t allow the fat to push through. Plus, the more muscle means the more fat burn, and more fat burn means less fat to produce cellulite! Boom!
Best Exercises To Reduce Cellulite
Here are the five best strength training exercises to reduce cellulite. They focus on the most cellulite-prone areas of your lower body, including the glutes and thighs. Try these exercises 2-3 times per week for best results. You will need a long resistance band for two of the exercises. Perform each move 8-12 times then move to the next one. Go through the sequence two times for best results.
DON’T MISS: 5 Exercises To Get Rid Of Cellulite On The Buttocks
1. Plié Squat
How To Do It:
- Stand with feet slightly wider than shoulder distance apart and toes turned out. Bend knees, lowering torso and keeping your back straight and abs tight. Tuck your tailbone.
- Squeeze your glutes and come to standing position.
2. Pistol Squat
How To Do It:
- Stand with feet hip-distance apart and extend one leg long in front of the body.
- Bring hands to hips or the front of your body for balance. Sit back into a squat with the weight in the heel of the foot, then slowly stand back up using your glute and hamstring muscles. Repeat for desired number of reps and switch sides.
MUST READ: At Home Body Wrap For Weight Loss, Detox And Cellulite Treatment
3. Side Lunge
How To Do It:
- Start standing with legs slightly wider than shoulder-distance apart and toes pointed forward.
- Shift your bodyweight to one leg, bending the knee until it reaches a 90-degree angle and the other leg is straight. Glutes are pressing back behind you. Return to center and switch sides.
4. Resistance Band Butt Blaster
How To Do It:
- Kneel on floor and wrap band under right foot, placing hands down under shoulders while holding handles against the floor.
- Lift right knee off the floor slightly and push right foot back to extend leg straight against the band, squeezing your glute.
- Release slowly, bringing knee back in to a bent position. Continue for desired reps and switch feet.
READ THIS: Top 3 Effective Remedies To Reduce Cellulite Fast And Easy
5.Single Leg Hamstring Bridge
How To Do It:
- Lie on back with bent knees hip distance apart, and feet flat on mat stacked under the knees. Extend one leg long towards the ceiling.
- Squeeze glutes and lift hips off the mat into a bridge. Lower and lift the hips for desired number of reps, then repeat on other side.
Great job completing one round! Get a drink of water, go back to the top of the list and go through the entire set at least one more time.