Have you ever been constipated? Felt bloated? Had excess gas? Felt like something just wasn’t right? Now is the perfect time to hit the reset button on your body and nothing is more effective for this than a detox.
Signs of toxic overload that a detox can improve: constipation, bloating, gas, headaches, fatigue, aches and pains, nausea, belly fat (hard to lose), skin problems, food cravings, low energy, bad breath, irritability, mood swings.
Detox = Misery? Initially feeling like crap when we detoxify is a good thing. This experience is a healing crisis that helps us feel better. When we eliminate sugary, addictive, toxic foods and drinks, we usually initially have uncomfortable symptoms like achiness, flu-like symptoms, irritability, nausea, headaches, brain fog, constipation, hunger, itchy skin, fatigue, and sleep difficulties.
READ: When You Skip Sleep, You Eat 300+ More Calories the Next Day, Study Finds
When we take out the junk from our diet, we can actually experience withdrawal similar to other addictive substances like caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, cocaine, or heroin. Stay the course and things will get better!
The average time to get over a detox crisis is about 48 hours. As unpleasant as this can be, we must be patient and allow our body the time it needs to adjust to new, healthy lifestyle choices. A one to three day adjustment period when we begin detoxifying is common. These symptoms will pass! We can make this process easier, here’s how to ease discomfort when we detoxify.
SEE ALSO: 9 SIGNS OF HORMONAL IMBALANCE YOU SHOULDN’T IGNORE!
– We can start our detox protocol on a weekend, for instance, or when we have some time off.
– Increase healthy fats and protein. When we remove sugar and other unhealthy carbs, we can experience strong cravings. Plenty of healthy fats and protein like nuts and seeds, avocados, and wild fatty fish will reduce those cravings and stabilize our energy levels.
– Support the body as it releases toxins. Drink plenty of water to help release toxins. Visit a sauna or get a massage. Try gentle stretching or yoga to flush out the circulation and lymphatic systems.
– Keep things regular. If we experience constipation, we must ensure we’re drinking enough water to clear our bowels. We can also sprinkle freshly ground flaxseeds, which are high-fiber and absorb water to eliminate efficiently, into our salads or smoothies.
– Exercise regularly. Regular exercise becomes a great way to kick-start detox and elimination. Walking is great. So is yoga, burst training, or weight resistance.
READ: How to Do 3-Day Complete Body Sugar Detox, Lose Weight and Improve Your Health
– Get sufficient sleep. Sufficient sleep becomes mandatory to properly detox the body. Our bodies actually detoxify while we sleep. Not getting eight hours of quality sleep nightly or getting poor sleep disrupts that process.
Note! Things to avoid on your detox: alcohol, tobacco, recreational drugs, and non-prescribed medications, caffeine, processed, highly refined, and GMO foods, sugar and other sweeteners.
We should be cautious and conscious in our daily lifestyle choices. Consuming safe, natural, and nutrient rich foods, beverages, supplements, and body products, as well as cleansing, hydrating, and detoxifying are the foundation of a proper chemical balance.