Burpees are one of those exercises that everybody loves to hate, but they offer so many benefits that their popularity is spreading regardless of how hard they may feel when you do them.
You’ll encounter burpees everywhere from HIIT workouts to boot camps to CrossFit, and for good reason. They’re one of the most efficient, functional exercises you can do.
The burpee, or squat thrust, is a full body exercise used in strength training and as an aerobic exercise. The basic movement is performed in four steps and known as a “four-count burpee”
- Begin in a standing position.
- Drop into a squat position with your hands on the ground.
- Kick your feet back into a plank position, while keeping your arms extended.
- Immediately return your feet to the squat position.
- Stand up from the squat position
According to Oxford Dictionaries Online, the exercise was named in the 1930s for American physiologist Royal H. Burpee, who developed the burpee test. He earned a PhD in applied physiology from Columbia University in 1940 and created the “burpee” exercise as part of his PhD thesis as a quick and simple way to assess fitness. The exercise was popularized when the United States Armed Services adopted it as a way to assess the fitness level of recruits when the US entered World War II. Consisting of a series of the exercises performed in rapid succession, the test was meant to be a quick measure of agility, coordination and strength.
So, burpees are really effective, and good to do anywhere, anytime. But how do we really do a perfect burpee? Well, here we go (see video below)
– Stand with your feet hip width apart and your arms down by your side
– Lower into a squat position with your hands flat on the floor in front of you
– Kick your legs backwards into a press up position and lower your chest to the floor
– Push your chest back up to the press up position thrust both feet forward so you are back in the squat position
– Jump up and raise both hands over your head
Check out the video below:
Do this challenge, complete it to the final day and you will have better health and an amazing new body in only 30 days!
Remember, you can do the burpees everywhere, everyday, so there are no excuses! Comeback here and let me know how it went!