Bees make honey from the flower nectar. They use tube-shaped tongues to extract and store it in their second stomach. It mixes with enzymes there and then the substance is passed on to other bees in a digestive assembly line until the last bee deposits the honey into the honeycomb.
The bees fan the honeycomb with their wings until the excess of water evaporates. The honeycomb is then sealed with a substance which hardens and that’s the beeswax.
Honey is bee’s food source. It is almost 80% natural sugar and 18% water, while the remaining 2% are vitamins and minerals, pollen, and protein. When you consume the sugar it contains, it is not bad for you if you consume it in moderate amounts. It is quite healthy because of its vitamins and minerals.
THE BENEFITS OF CONSUMING HONEY:
- Provides more energy – Honey is an effective pre- and post-workout energy source for athletes because it does not cause blood sugar to drop after the initial spike. It improves power and speed in endurance athletes. Try to eat a piece of toast with a tablespoon of honey instead of drinking soda high in sugar.
- Lowers blood pressure – Honey contains a kind of carbohydrate known as oligosaccharide which doubles as an antioxidant and an amazing blood-pressure-lowering mechanism, in case you suffer from high blood pressure you may try to incorporate a tablespoon of honey into your daily diet.
- Relieves nausea –Combining it with lemon can help you relieve nausea. Many pregnant women who suffer from morning sickness follow this procedure. The lemon clears the toxins from an agitated stomach and with the help of the delivery system of honey it slowly releases its cleansing power.
- Treats cough –Consuming 2 teaspoons of honey 30 minutes before going to bed can help you suppress a nighttime cough. This is effective for adults and children older than 1.
SEE ALSO: Burn Body Fat With Just Two Natural Ingredients
- Improves sleep – Consuming a bit of honey and Himalayan salt will help you have a restful sleep during the night. This works because Himalayan salt is high in magnesium that reduces the stress hormone cortisol, making it easier to fall asleep. Honey supports and heals the liver and other organs while you sleep. Mix 5 teaspoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of Himalayan salt, and store it into a jar. Dissolve 1 teaspoon of the mixture under your tongue before going to bed.
- Heals cuts and burns – This is because of its antibiotic properties. Just rub it on the cut or burn. It can also assist with acnes.
- Treats dandruff – Honey makes it an effective treatment for the most severe symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis (scaling and hair loss) and dandruff due to its antifungal, antibacterial, and antioxidant properties. Rub diluted honey with warm water into your scalp, let it stay for 3 hours, and then gently rinse it off with some warm water. Repeat this procedure each day until the symptoms subside. Maintain a healthy scalp by applying honey once a week.
- Burns fat –Consuming a spoonful of honey before you go to bed can help you burn fat as honey speeds up the metabolism and reduces stress hormones while you sleep. You can combine it with cinnamon to make a detox tea.
Honey is definitely one of the most delicious ingredients with an abundance of health benefits. Add it into your tea, coffee, or just spread it on a piece of a whole-grain toast!